Monday 17 April 2017

Love of Knitting Summer 2017: A Review


Love of Knitting has released its Summer 2017 issue. How about we all, with our own love of knitting, take a look at Interweave's version of it?





Beachy Tote. This bag isn't without a certain sporty appeal, but those stripes are badly connected and the shape is dumpy.





Cuddly Panther. Very cute toy. I do like to see animal toys done with other species than the classic bears and bunnies.





Dakini Sweater. A very wearable simple sweater with some good shaping and a bit of nice detailing.





Damson Plum Cardigan. This is... okay. I don't happen to like cardigans with fronts that don't meet, as they always look too small to me, but if you do like the style, it's a workmanlike example of it.





Dropstitch Stripes Pullover. This isn't so bad a design, but I think this was the wrong yarn choice for this piece. The way those stripes take a downturn at the sleeves is neither attractive nor flattering on either the front or the back of this piece. A non-stripe yarn would go a long way towards erasing the frown lines effect.





Dropstitch Swatch Cloth. Dropstitch can be quite an effective technique, but here it looks like a lot of surprisingly symmetrical runs.





Gallery Pullover. An attractive, simple piece... but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Hiking Henley. Basic but wearable and useful piece.





Mediterranean Scrub Set. This set includes a facecloth, scrub mitt, and soap sack. The idea seems to be that it could be used as a fancy guest set for the bathroom or at the beach. I suppose it's a nice set for people who like handknitted towelry and loofahs, but it comes across as a little cheesy to my mind. The facecloth supposedly has a "seashell shape", but to me it looks for all the world like a Barbie dress.





Moonlight Poncho. This is a lovely piece of lacework, and though I don't usually like ponchos, this is so light and delicate it comes across less as a poncho than as a shawl that will stay in place.





Mottled Mitts. A very serviceable and well-shaped pair of mitts.





Museum Piece Pullover. Quite like this one, with its beautifully cabled yoke and excellent shaping.





Nurturing Cardigan. I like the combination of the lace pattern in the body and the ribbing on the sleeves and edges, but the dropped shoulders and the open fronts give this an awkward, "doesn't fit right" look.





Pack-me-up Shawl. Not a bad little shawl.





Prairielands Cowl. Quite like this. The unusual and adept colour palette makes it.





Traveler's Arms Wrap. Very nice wrap! Love the stitchwork.





Water Carrier. The yarn is wrong for this, I think. Using a standard knitting yarn makes this water botter carrier look like a toilet paper cozy that recognized times had changed and transitioned into a second career. I'd make this carrier with nylon cord or something of the sort to give it a more athletic/utilitarian look.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see a magazine where the models aren't ALL size 2. Gives me an idea of what something would actually look like on ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with all your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say, this bunch only illicited "meh" from me. Maybe styles are changing and I'm failing to keep up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of anything in this issue. Thanks for saving me the cost of purchase.

    ReplyDelete