Wednesday 8 March 2017

Vogue Knitting Late Winter 2017: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released their Late Winter 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it....





Pattern #1, Textured Poncho. Very loose-fitting numbers like this one are not usually my thing, but I have to admit this one works pretty well because of the careful shaping and detailing and interesting texture. The colourway used here really isn't to my taste, but I am enjoying imagining this piece done in lots of beautiful palettes.





Pattern #2, Raglan Turtleneck. A basic pattern like this one can be the way to go when you have an interesting or especially beautiful yarn to showcase. I'd recommend scaling down the length of this sweater to suit the intended wearer's height if she isn't model-tall.





Pattern #3, Cabled Front Pullover. I like this one on the whole, but I'm not sure that stripe of white on the bottom is working. I find it distracting.





Pattern #4, Color Block Pullover. Sometimes colour blocking works and sometimes it looks as though the knitter simply ran out of one colour of yarn. I'm inclined to think this is one of the latter cases, though the two yarns used do work together very well, which helps a lot.





Pattern #5, Striped Pullover. What a gorgeous play of colour.





Pattern #6, Man's Hoodie. Nice piece. The self-striping yarn makes for a more interesting take on the too-standard "stripe across the chest" men's sweater.





Pattern #7, Cable Front Pullover. Perfectly shaped and very wearable cabled piece.





Pattern #8, Broderie Anglaise Shawl. Interesting texture.





Pattern #9, Cabled Shawl. Beautiful wrap.





Pattern #10, Maruna Hat. Cute hat. I don't know if I'd go with the pom pom, personally, but certainly it will suit some women and is a fun touch.





Pattern #11, Long-line Scarf. A handsome and polished scarf.





Pattern #12, Over-Knee Socks. This a wonderfully comfortable-looking pair of knee socks, but the combination of pumps and pom poms is not one we'll often see anywhere but on a professional model in a magazine shoot.





Pattern #13, Cabled Sleeve Scarf. Nice cablework, but the open tube style of this scarf would make me feel like I had a pair of longjohns tied around my neck.





Pattern #13, Pom Pom Hat. Another classic hat topped with a furry pom pom.





Pattern #14, Cowichan-Style Pullover. This is nice on the whole, but I would have put a little more effort into that collar, which looks somewhat unfinished.





Pattern #15, Cowichan Style Socks. Oooh, I covet these for both their attractive Cowichan-inspired design as well as their very evident warmth and comfiness.





Pattern #17, Bouclé Open Vest, and Pattern #18, Bouclé Pullover. I'm afraid I'm one of those hidebound, narrow-minded knitters who will never be lured away from her belief that sweaters should not look as though they were knitted out of bathmat.





Pattern #18, Heartbeat Wrap. This piece is interesting, polished, and wearable. Love the gradient effect and the sharp graphic appeal.





Pattern #19, Floral Vest. A lovely piece on the whole, but I don't know how much I like that blurred effect on the bottom. It looks as though the colours ran in the wash.





Pattern #20, Striped Turtleneck. A simple but very sharp piece.





Pattern #21. This one just plain messes with my head. It's like a knitted Rorschach test. I see car mats and rivulets of slush, which I suppose says I'm Canadian ad it's mid-winter, and I'm relieved that my psychological profile is no worse.





Pattern #22, Gradient Graphic Wrap. This one's a little too afghan-y to work as a wrap.





Pattern #23, Lace Cowl. Gorgeous.

7 comments:

  1. You missed the #12 Directional Blue pattern and I am entertaining myself imagining your critique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I used the preview photos from the VK website and they missed that one, as well as getting their pattern numbers a little muddled. I've added the missing sweater and its review, fixed the numbers, and also added the names of the designs from this issue's Ravelry page. From now on I'll be double checking my reviews against the Ravelry page to make sure everything's correct and complete. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #6 doesn't use self striping yarn. It's marled using 3 strands of solid yarn (according to the pattern write up on Ravelry). Since it uses worsted weight it must be very warm!

    I think it's very handsome in those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 is a Kaffe Fassett design, no? With his color sense no wonder the sweater is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The styling of pattern 12 reminds me of Elizabeth Zimmerman writing that the foot of a sock needs to be at a right angle to the leg, unless you're planning to wear your hand-knitted socks with high heel shoes, something the fashion boys haven't thought of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #17 and #21 completely agree, the whole issue though feels like "the 90s called and want theirs misshapen sweaters back". Sorry to be such a shrew, but come on, Vogue, you are better than this! Loved the ideas of 2 and 7, even though I'm concerned that #2 will be so thick made in double stranded worsted yarn, that it'll be impractical. The company makes a similar DK yarn, I'd redo the pattern for that weight. Amy Herzog #7 - im dreaming of one of her sweater design workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For pattern #21, I saw the Mystical Doorway to the Model's Womb, myself.

    ReplyDelete