Monday 13 March 2017

Rib Magazine, Issue 1: A Review


Podcasters Eric (from the Sticks + Twine Podcast) and Devone (from the Handmade and Woolen Podcast) have just launched a new knitting magazine called Rib, and guess what... it's written specifically for men who knit and those who knit for them in what may be a knitting magazine first. Vogue Knitting has done at least one special issue for men, but to the best of my knowledge there aren't any English language knitting magazine titles that offer only patterns for men. It'll be interesting to see what design direction the magazine takes, and how it does in sales. Let's have a look at the first issue.





Dragonmoss. This is a handsome, non-fussy piece that I can easily imagine the bachelors of my acquaintance being happy to have on their couches, even though in some cases part of the pillow's job would be to hide the beer stains and broken springs.





Lakeshore Boulevard Pullover. I'm liking this one, which offers a modern take on the traditional gansey pattern.






Metropolitan Hat & Cowl. An attractive and wearable set. I like the lattice stitchwork on both hat and cowl.





Patina Pullover. This pullover couldn't be plainer, but as always with a simple pattern, using a beautiful and/or interesting yarn will give it all the interest it needs.





Stalactite Scarf. This one combines some clever stitchwork with a very cool, interesting yarn.





Urban Aran Mitts. A very nice-looking and wearable pair of mitts.

I'd say this magazine is off to a promising start with its six solid designs, though I am hoping in future issues we'll see more colour and daring in the designs.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, a bold move I wish them every success. How do we get hold of a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this magazine has actually been launched by two podcasters - Sticks + Twine and Devon from Handmade and Woolen - both men. I would imagine Purl Soho is just the retailer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fixed the publisher information. Thank you for pointing that out.

      Delete