Wednesday 7 May 2014

Pom Pom Quarterly Summer 2014: A Review


Pom Pom Quarterly has released their Summer 2014 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





This is the Creamsicle design. I'm not too impressed with it because I'm not a big fan of bobbles at their best, and this is a rather unimaginative use of them. The shape isn't great either, what with the boxy body and too long sleeves. The pattern looks a little amateurish on the whole.





The Sombra design. I like this one. The colourway is so well blended and a loose sheer top like this can be useful for summer, as a coverup for the beach or to be worn in lieu of a shawl.





The Seaside Sundae throw is quite attractive. It looks like a baby blanket in these colours, but of course there's no reason to use pastels for this project if you'd prefer another colourway.





The Sceles pattern. As I've said in a number of past reviews, clothing designs should not look like repurposed afghans.





The Flora design. I'm not taken with this one either. It has good points, such as the striped garter stitch collar and the attractive lacework through the body, but the design isn't quite working together as a whole. I think the problem might be the colours, which don't do much for each other, and make the garment look visually chopped up. I think what I would do is make the body of the sweater and the sleeves in a solid colour, and use a second variegated colour as the stripes in the collar and for the button bands and hem trim.





The Emery shrug. I very much like this little wrap. Pretty colour and texture.





The Ananas Comosus design. I'm probably the wrong demographic for this pineapple tank top, which is likely intended to appeal to some cute young hipster type. All I can say is that the pineapple motif is fairly well worked out.





The Baya shawl is a good piece of design. I'm impressed with whomever put these colours together, because it's a risky combination that really pops. The lace pattern is really lovely.

2 comments:

  1. It's an Ok issue, I think… nothing earth-shattering, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flora design looks like a knitted bowling shirt...not attractive at all.

    ReplyDelete