Monday 5 May 2014

Interweave Knits Summer 2014: A Review


Interweave Knits has released their Summer 2014 issue. Let's have a look at it.





The Starboard Sweater. This standard fit mesh pullover is a pretty basic summer knitting pattern.





The Driftwood Tee is an elegantly casual piece that will go nearly anywhere because it can be paired with a skirt, shorts, jeans, or trousers.





Love the texture of the Nautilus Hat.





The Prow Pullover. I'm not sure how I feel about the inverted triangle of reverse stockinette stitch on this design. It doesn't seem to me to be adding anything. The rest of the sweater is attractive. I very much like the deep, lace-trimmed neckline.





I'm torn as to whether the Sand Dollar Cardigan sits badly or whether it's the victim of poor styling. The only thing I'm sure of here is that the trousers the model is wearing are the most horrifically unflattering I ever saw.





The Sand Dollar Cardigan shows to much better advantage here, but then the model is holding the one side in place while the other side is crumpling up.





The Coralline Jacket is a lovely piece with good lines and interesting details and it will look good worn over a variety of summer outfits.





The Crustacean Shawl has a rather interesting construction and colourway.





The Estuary Tank is one of those designs that started out with an interesting concept but didn't quite get the execution it deserved. The garter stitch panels look slapped together rather than playing off each other as they ought.





There are several things to admire about the Sea Anemone Jacket (i.e., the gorgeous colour, the beautiful lace stitchwork), but it's all for naught when this item is such an unwearable shape. This is an unflattering item that will look like a botched project.





The Ocracoke Cardigan is a wonderful piece of design. The lines are great, the Art Deco-style interlocking cable stitch is stunning, and it's a useful item that will look good on any woman. It's a perfect pattern.





The Inlet Cardigan. This piece had some interesting points (the lace from the front that continues on to wrap around the shoulders and join at the back is an interesting concept), but I don't think it's quite successful over all. The dropped shoulders seem to be the culprit. I think I'd either raise the shoulders or omit the sleeves.





The Forrester Socks have an inventive construction and look like a good way to showcase a handpainted yarn.





Quite like the Lobelia Socks, which have what I can only describe as a cubist Harlequin pattern.





The Kayleen Pullover is the cover look, and it's definitely a worthy candidate with its good lines and modern take on a Celtic knot detail.





Love the Bell Yoke Tee. The yoke is so striking it carries the whole design.





The Hay Bale Tank. The lacy back of this tank is lovely, but I think the front needs a little detail, because it looks plain to the point of frumpiness.





The Bluebells Lace Shawl is a lovely piece of lace.





The Go To Market Cardigan is a cute little number with a vintage feel. If you don't have a waist you care to emphasize, I'd recommend that you make the lace border just an inch or two deep rather than making it waist height as it is here.





The Farmstand Tee. After some pondering, I think I've decided I like this one. It's interesting and flattering. It's fairly wearable too, though I would have concerns about possible side boob showing through those long, loose armholes. I notice the model has her arms clamped to her sides.

1 comment:

  1. I've been puzzled by your and other comments I've seen on the Inlet cardigan - it seems to me to be obvious that it's a cardigan knitted onto what is basically a scarf/stole, so you can't really adjust anything (like the shoulders!). I see the idea but don't think it really works.
    The Go To Market cardigan looks so sweet on the model - but all that garter is going to look really bulky on anyone who isn't a waif…
    But yes, the Ocracoke is beautiful (presumably the weird name means something to someone…)!

    ReplyDelete